Here’s a quick Q&A with designer Anand Kabra…
1. As a designer, what inspires you? Have a muse?
Design is the medium I use to express myself. The collections are almost autobiographical…It is a story I tell which comes from a very personal space and it normally is what I sense, see and absorb from what’s going on around me. It could be a mood, art, cinema, anything that catches my eye and moves me.
My muse is a strong successful independent woman who has a mind of her own and has mastered the art of balancing all the roles she is expected to play without loosing her sense of self.
2. What is the core aesthetic that you aim for in your clothes?
Right now it is intelligent design, which stands for quality and luxury.
5. How do you feel about more and more celebrities choosing to wear International labels at various award functions and other public events? As a designer do you feel our homespun designers aren’t getting their due?
To each their own. Its cyclic… right now there is a need to flaunt international names and soon there will be a novelty in wearing Indian designers…That’s what fashion is all about….It doesn’t bother me.
6. How important are celebrity show-stoppers at fashion weeks? Do they bring welcome attention to a designer or only deflect serious attention from the business of fashion?
I can only speak for myself and I definitely do not believe in celebrity show stoppers. I personally feel that it does take away from the clothes and the seriousness of the business. I rather be remembered for what I put on the ramp rather than whom I put on it!
7. Five essentials that should take us through the seasons this year?
Well fitted jeans, White blouse or shirt, Good pair of stilettos, A little black dress and A traditional hand woven sari.
10. And finally…
a. One word that describes you?
b. A trend you wish would go away?
c. A trend you can’t get enough of?
d. Shoes or bags?
e. If you weren’t a designer, you would be?
f. One thing Anand Kabra cannot live without?
Anand Kabra Fall 09
Photo Credit: Viral Bhayani